Beefy Tortellini Soup

Posted by Katie Cooks On Thursday, May 6, 2010 2 comments
My mom gave me this recipe a couple years ago. I am pretty sure she got it from my aunt Linda. I remember Linda making it for us when we were younger. My cousins and I always loved the cheese filled tortellinies. I loved them so much, that I would save them for last when I was young. I have always been that way; save the best for last. I still assess my plate each evening, and then eat my meal from least favorite to favorite. Now that I think of it, this sounds slightly obsessive. Oh well. Fortunately, I have gotten over my habit when it comes to a composed dish (like soup). Trust me, this is one is all good.

I love this soup recipe because in the winter it warms me up, and in the summer it is delicious with fresh green beans and squash. Hope this one makes many repeat performances on your table, all year round.

Printable Recipe 

                                                                                                                                                        
Beefy Tortellini Soup
 Fresh or frozen beans work equally well. Also, make the whole batch; these leftover just get better.

You will need:
nonstick cooking spray
1 lb lean ground beef
1 teaspoon garlic and herb seasoning         
1 tablespoon basil pesto
1 can French onion soup
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
3 1/2 cups water
1 package refrigerated 3 cheese tortellini
1 cup chopped zuchinni or yellow squash
1 cup green beans
salt and pepper to taste




Begin by spraying the soup pot with nonstick spray, and brown the beef over medium high heat. Drain grease.






Add your teaspoon of garlic and herb seasoning to the beef.







Stir in pesto, and add tomatoes, soup, and water.Turn to medium low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.






If you have not done so already, chop the squash.







Uncover the pot; turn it up to medium, medium high, and add the squash, beans, and tortellini. Cook for about 5-7 more minutes. You don't want the tortellini to fall apart, so if you are cooking ahead of time, hold off until right before you are ready to eat.




Serve with crusty bread for dipping. Enjoy!
 


2 comments to Beefy Tortellini Soup

  1. says:

    Unknown It was rainy and dreary today in Alabama, and I found myself longing for a new recipe for dinner. I went straight to Sporkandskewer, bypassing all of my other favorite recipe websites! I hit the jackpot with the tortellini soup. We just finished dinner! The soup was so yummy and so simple to make! In fact, dinner was so good, I regret that I didn't invite my mom, Aunt Pat and Uncle Bob over for dinner! This soup, just like the Aromatic Salmon will appear on my dinner table frequently! (Fresh Salmon is in the fridge for tomorrow!!) Thanks Katie

  1. says:

    Katie Cooks Thanks, Kara! I agree; this recipe is so easy, it's hard to believe how good it is. I'm glad you loved it as much as we do up in MN!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails